The difference between “migraines” and “tension headaches”
KNOW YOUR BODY!!! Do you suffer from headaches? Did you know that not all headaches are “migraines”. Most headaches actually come in the form of “tension headaches”
At Balance and Body Restoration, neck pain and headaches are some of the most common problems we see here everyday. One of the main misconceptions is that many of our clients confuse “tension headaches” with having “migraines”
What ends up happening is that our clients try to take certain medications or try remedies to alleviate “migraines” meanwhile, the root cause of their “tension headache” is often ignored!
A “migraine headache” or “migraine aura” usually comes with these symptoms:
- Stomach pain
- Extreme sensitivity to light
Meanwhile, a more common “tension headache” will create symptoms such as:
- Throbbing in front of the skull
- Tender/aching muscles in the neck/shoulder
- Radiating pains into the back of the neck down into the top of the shoulder blade
- Difficulty concentrating
- Inability to find a comfortable position while sleeping
While “migraines” may be more difficult to diagnose and treat, if you find yourself suffering from a “tension headache” then finding a Physical Therapist that specializes in treating these types of headaches may be the solution!
Many times “tension headaches” are due to postural deficits, poor body awareness of neck, or general stiffness in the upper back and shoulder. This causes excessive pressure to build on nerves in the back of our neck!
If you think you may have symptoms more consistent with a “tension headache” then we have a great solution for you!
Download this free tips report on how to naturally reduce neck pain and headaches (pay most attention to tip 7) and you may find your path to ending your headaches permanently!!!
Latest posts by Kevin Mao, PT, DPT (see all)
- How to End Sciatica Without Pills or Surgery, Even if You’ve Been Diagnosed With “Bulging” or “Herniated” Discs - August 3, 2018
- X-ray and MRI scans - June 29, 2018
- Creating an Environment for Healing: - June 5, 2018